Help us light up the world!
Together let’s raise the visibility of Juvenile HD and HD.
Thanks to local and national volunteers our LightItUp4HD campaign is gaining lots of attention. With the encouragement from volunteers across Canada (and even the globe!) we are expanding #LightItUp4HD. Let’s light up the world in purple and blue, for Juvenile Huntington disease (JHD) and Huntington disease (HD), throughout the month of May 2017! The more days we can light up, the more awareness we will bring to HD. Our goal is to #LightItUp4HD, somewhere in the world, each day of the month. Rather than one day, we are looking to celebrate May Awareness each and every day of May 2017. Want to see how we did last year? Check out this video from 2016’s #LightItUp4HD. If you would like to know more about the site involved, please click on it and you will be directed to their webpage.
Scroll down for our information package, templates for contacting sites and more about how you can get a site to participate.
Throughout the month, we’ll be highlighting our volunteers over on our blog. Seeing the impact the HD community makes on a daily basis always serves as a dose of inspiration for us. Be inspired with us. Click here to see how these volunteers are spreading Huntington disease awareness.
Don’t know enough about Huntington disease? Our PSA Campaign is a great way to get acquainted. Click here to see our radio/TV ads and to see if they’re airing on a channel near you.
Seen blue and purple ribbon pins floating around? Those pins were hand-crafted from our very own Barb Marshall! Learn more about Barb and her Ribbons of Hope by clicking here.
WHO IS INVOLVED?
CANADA – Confirmed Locations
- Art Gallery of Alberta in Edmonton – May 6-11 (will light up in blue), May 13-18 (will light up in purple)
- ATB Financial Building in Edmonton – May 18
- Arts Commons in Calgary – May 26
- Calgary Tower in Calgary – May 26
- Glenbow Museum in Calgary– May 26
- Reconciliation Bridge in Calgary (formerly the Langevin Bridge) – May 26
- Olympic Plaza in Calgary – May 26
- Stephen Avenue Galleria Trees in Calgary – May 26
- Telus Spark in Calgary – May 26
- High Level Bridge in Edmonton – May 28
- BC Parliament Building in Victoria – May 5
Join others heading out to see the BC Parliament Building light up. More information on their Facebook Event Page.
- BC Place in Vancouver – May 15
- RBC Convention Centre – May 12
- The Forks in Winnipeg – May 22
- The Merchants Hotel in Selkirk – May 26
Newfoundland and Labrador
- Pasadena Place in Pasadena – May 12 – 15
- Fredericton City Hall – May 2
- Halifax City Hall – May 29-31
- CN Tower in Toronto – May 1 (a light show will run for 8 minutes at the top of every hour, starting at sunset)
- Big Nickel in Sudbury – Early May
- London Life Insurance Building in London – May 8-14
- London Convention Centre – May 8-14
- London City Hall – May 8-14
- MacIntyre Headframe in Timmins – May 8-31
- City of Welland Bridge – May 18
- Niagara Falls – May 18 (Falls will be illuminated Purple & Blue at 10:00 p.m. for a fifteen (15) minute duration. Please note that illumination times are approximate and subject to change according to light conditions.)
- THEMUSEUM in Kitchener – May 19 – 22
- 3D Toronto Sign in Toronto – May 24(This lighting pattern will be in rotation with the Sign’s original multi-coloured pattern, from approximately 9 am on May 24 until 9 am on May 25.Please keep in mind that although the Sign stays on throughout the day, the letters’ LEDs are not visible when hit with direct, bright sunlight. Thus, the L.E.D. colours are only visible from dusk until dawn, unless it is overcast. The 3D Leaf will NOT be included in the 3D Toronto Sign Commemorative Lighting Program. During Commemorative Lightings, the maple leaf will appear in either a neutral white, or red shade.)
- Kitchener Public Library – May 27
- Caesars Windsor – May 30
Prince Edward Island
- Confederation Centre of the Arts in Charlottetown – May 2
ACROSS THE WORLD
AUSTRALIA – Sites to be confirmed
*HDAUK will be lighting up in pink and green.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Join in the fun and let’s show the world what our global community can do!
Join this growing movement! Choose a building, monument or statue in your area.
Step 1: Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your suggestion. Please see the list below of the buildings, monuments or statues that volunteers are currently contacting. Email us to with the name of the site you want to contact. We will confirm and add your site to the list below. On to step two!
Step 2: Contact the building, monument or statue.
a) Find the contact information on their website.
b) Call or email them directly and ask what the process is to light up the building, monument or statue. If they need more information about Light It Up 4 HD, you can provide them with this info package. Other materials include photo 1 and photo 2, as well as general HD materials like this poster and this brochure.
c) Once you know the process, use this template, complete your information, and email it to the site.
Step 3: Wait for confirmation. It could take a couple of days or even up to 4 – 6 weeks; if you don’t hear back, don’t be shy! Go ahead and contact them again.
Step 4: Official confirmation. Some buildings, monuments or statues want official confirmation from HSC. That’s no problem just forward the request to email@example.com and we will confirm you are working on our behalf. Please note: Most sites will need 6 – 8 months to prepare so, let’s start now!