Family is at the heart of our community. Our families and volunteers tell a powerful story of caring people who pull together to improve the quality of life for Canadians impacted by Huntington disease (HD). HD is a fatal hereditary brain disorder with devastating effects on both the mind and body. It is like having the symptoms of Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and Schizophrenia all in one disease.
The good news is, with recent medical breakthroughs many researchers and scientists believe that once we are successful in stopping the progression of HD we will also find the answers to many other neurological diseases. Your valued support will bring us one step closer to this goal.
The Huntington Society of Canada is a not-for-profit charitable organization which raises funds to deliver individual and group counselling service to support individuals and families living with Huntington disease (HD) and to fund medical research to delay or stop the progression of the disease. The Society also works with health and social services professionals to enable them to better serve people living with HD.
The Huntington Society of Canada aspires to a world free from Huntington disease. The Society maximizes the quality of life of people living with HD by:
- Delivering services;
- Enabling others to understand the disease; and
- Furthering research to slow and prevent Huntington disease
- Huntington disease is a fatal hereditary brain disorder.
- A child born to a parent with HD has a 50% chance of sharing the same fate.
- 1 in every 1,000 Canadians is impacted by HD.
- Currently there in no known cure for Huntington disease.