The Huntington Society of Canada (HSC) currently has an opportunity for a social worker to take on the role of SOUTHERN ALBERTA RESOURCE CENTRE DIRECTOR on the national Family Services team. This is a part-time, (25 hours per week) permanent position located in Calgary, Alberta and reporting to the HSC Director of Family Services and Community Development.
As a member of the HSC national Family Services team, you will be responsible for facilitating a process whereby people living with Huntington disease (HD) and their caregivers and family members (including those at-risk) understand and adjust to the changes and losses brought about by HD, and as a result, maximize the quality of their lives. You will work with professionals and volunteers to ensure HSC clients have access to a full continuum of services to meet their unique needs.
The responsibilities of the social worker will include client and family meetings, education sessions for community services, support group facilitation for people living with HD, participation in the HD clinic appointments and advocacy.
- Degree (BSW/MSW) in social work or related field
- Valid registration with the Alberta College of Social Workers (or equivalent)
- 7-10 + years of experience in social work or related field
- Knowledge of provincial and local community services and programs available in alHSouthern Alberta
- Ability to work independently and as part of an interdisciplinary team
- Regular attendance at the HD clinic and ongoing follow-up with clients (e.g. phone, email, home visits)
- Facilitation of support groups for persons affected by HD and their caregivers
- Experience with progressive neurodegenerative diseases preferred
- Valid driver’s licence with a clean driving abstract and access to reliable transportation
- Clean criminal record and vulnerable sector check
- Valid First Aid and CPR certification
- Proficiency in electronic record keeping and Microsoft Office programs
- Travel and participation in national team meetings (twice per year)
- Attendance at the biannual national conference held in different locations across Canada
- Regional travel within Southern Alberta as needed
- Bilingualism (French/English) an asset
Qualified applicants are invited to send their resume and cover letter addressed to the Director of Family Services to: email@example.com. Please enter “Southern Alberta Resource Centre Director” as the subject of your email.
Huntington Society of Canada is an equal opportunity employer and strives to ensure that its hiring process meets the needs of all persons with disabilities. As such, Huntington Society of Canada will provide reasonable accommodation for any applicant, as requested during the hiring process.