The Huntington Society of Canada (HSC) BC Resource Centre is very excited to announce the launch of a new online carer support group for BC and the Yukon.
The online carer support group aims to provide:
- A meeting space for carers to build support and share their lived experiences with other carers
- Opportunities to learn positive coping strategies with the goal to reduce carer stress
- An increase in knowledge about HD and disease progression
- Tools and resources and the steps to access them in the community
This virtual group will provide a safe and confidential space for carers of a person with HD to learn and participate in topics fundamental to caregiving. It will run once a month from October 2020 to March 2021 on the 2nd Thursday of the month from 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
We will be using Go to Meeting (very similar to Zoom) that will be set up by the group leader. If you do not have a computer or tablet that connects to the internet, you can also join us by telephone via a toll free number. Resources and tools discussed during the group sessions will be emailed to participants.
- Caregiver Assessment – A snapshot of how you are doing
- Coping with Change (grief and loss)
- Caregiving and your emotions
- Challenging Behaviors (when the person resists help)
- Self-care and preventing burnout
- Asking for, and getting help
If you want more information about this virtual support group, please contact Rhonda Romolock, BC Resource Centre Director by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 604-827-7195