Review our Step-by-Step checklist to prepare for the walk, wherever you are participating, and check back often as more steps are added!
Becoming a Huntington Hero (Step-by-step):
- Register for a qualifying event near you, or for our virtual hub if there is no event near you.
- Pick your distance! While many of the local qualifying events will suggest a distance, you can choose to walk further, or over a longer period than what is advertised. Consider walking 5 km every day for instance!
- Download an app such as Strava, Run or Walk with MapMyFitness or FitBit (no FitBit required!) to track your steps/distance on your device. Don’t have a device? Consider purchasing a pedometer to record your steps in order to compete in our distance challenges, and contribute to our total distance walked together!
- Enter your time and distance on your fundraising page. To do this, go to “Manage my Page” and select “Record your Run” on the left-hand side. You can choose to manually enter your kilometers and time or link your Strava account and the information will automatically be uploaded to your fundraising page.
- Share your fundraising page by email and on social media with as many of your contacts as you can. You never know who will be able to donate, or how much! Prizes will be available for the top fundraiser per province, PLUS exciting incentives for your fundraising efforts. Check out our Tips for Raising Money on your fundraising page, including how to raise $1,000 in a week!
- Share the walk! There are many ways to spread the word and awareness about the #HSCNationalWalk2020 including:
- Invite friends and family to walk with you. Depending on gathering limits in your area, this may mean inviting them to physically walk beside you, or it may mean challenging them to walk a similar distance in their own neighbourhood. Either way, a little competition and camaraderie is always good!
- Print our Huntington Heroes National Virtual Walk Posters to take to local businesses and spread the word, or hang them up in your windows at home.
- Use our graphic to share the reason you’re walking in your Facebook, Instagram or Snapchat stories!