The Huntington Society of Canada (HSC) currently has an opportunity for a social worker to take on the role of Family Services Worker (FSW) – Vancouver on the national Family Services team. The Vancouver FSW has a home-based office. This is a part-time (30 hours per week), permanent position reporting to the BC Resource Centre Director.
As a member of the HSC national Family Services team, you will be responsible for facilitating a process whereby people living with Huntington disease (HD) and their caregivers and family members (including those at-risk) understand and adjust to the changes and losses brought about by HD, and as a result, maximize the quality of their lives. You will work with professionals and volunteers to ensure HSC clients have access to a full continuum of services to meet their unique needs.
The responsibilities of the social worker will include client and family meetings, education sessions for community services, support group facilitation for people living with HD, and supporting projects of the BC Resource Centre.
- Degree (BSW/MSW) in social work or related field
- Valid registration with the B.C. College of Social Workers
- 7-10 + years of experience in social work or related field
- Knowledge of provincial and local community services and programs available in Vancouver and area
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Previous experience with facilitation of support groups
- Ongoing follow-up with clients (e.g. phone, email, home visits, video conference appointments)
- Experience with progressive neurodegenerative diseases preferred
- Valid driver’s licence with a clean driving abstract
- Clean criminal record and vulnerable sector check
- Valid First Aid and CPR certification
- Proficiency in electronic record keeping and Microsoft Office programs
- Travel and participation in national team meetings (twice per year)
- Attendance at the biannual national conference held in different locations across Canada
- Regional travel within Vancouver and area as needed
Qualified applicants are invited to send their resume and cover letter addressed to the Director of Family Services to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please enter “Family Services Worker – Vancouver” as the subject of your email
Huntington Society of Canada is an equal opportunity employer and strives to ensure that its hiring process meets the needs of all persons with disabilities. As such, Huntington Society of Canada will provide reasonable accommodation for any applicant, as requested during the hiring process.