JOB POSTING: British Columbia Family Services Worker
- an experienced social worker with a client-centred approach?
- interested in working from home for a growing national charity?
- organized, resourceful and adaptable?
Huntington Society of Canada (HSC) is a leading Canadian charity dedicated to a world free from Huntington disease (HD). Our passionate and collaborative Family Services team is in search of a Family Services Worker (FSW) who can will provide support and education to individuals, families, and professionals in British Columbia. This position reports to the BC Resource Centre Directors.
- Provides information and education about the nature and progression of HD and care strategies through individual and family consultations, group information meetings and provision of information materials and web resources
- Directs individuals to research articles and websites for current research information
- Provides short-term counselling to address the emotional and practical adjustments to living with HD, the impact on relationships and daily living, communication within the family, behavioural issues and safety plans, support systems and future planning
- Provides referral of professionals to others within their discipline who have more experience working with HD
- Support community development activities undertaken by the Resource Centre Director
- Provides documentation as required according to established Family Services program policies and procedures
- Support the activities of the Resource Centre office which includes responding to telephone and correspondence, payment of invoices, purchasing supplies
- Supports the RCD in the process of drafting the Resource Centre annual budget, monitoring of expenses
- Participate in local training, team teleconferences
- Attend semi-annual National team meetings and the biannual HSC National Conference
- Provide information and consultation as indicated i.e. to assist with materials development, contribute to organizational publications, and support fund development initiatives
- 5 years plus clinical experience in health care, mental health fields
- Experience with Huntington disease (HD) and/or progressive neurological diseases
- Bachelor of Social Work University degree (accredited faculty of social work)
- Current registered member of a provincial social work or related professional association/college
- Proficient knowledge of provincial healthcare system and community resources
- First Aid and CPR current certification
- Experience providing conducting professional assessments and interventions
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office 365 and products
- Experience working with client database (ideally Penelope by Athena)
Resumes with cover letter can be emailed by end of day on May 14th, 2021 to:
Please enter “British Columbia Family Services Worker” in the subject line of your email.
Thank you for your interest. Only qualified candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
HSC will provide reasonable accommodations for any applicant, as requested during the hiring process.