You can fight HD, support our families and help search for a cure. Help us.
Our Education Program
• Horizon, an electronic or hardcopy newsletter for families, professionals, members and volunteers
• booklets, brochures and articles on many aspects of HD
• care manuals
• online videos available for download
• in-services to professionals
• an award-winning promotional video
• a national public awareness campaign
What You Can Do
You can contribute to our education program in many ways:
• Make sure that families and professionals in your area are aware of the wide range of educational resources available from National Office, and let them know when new materials come out.
• Ask families and professionals if they wish to receive Horizon, the Society's newsletter. Don't forget about local nursing, medical and social work schools and other relevant training programs. Make sure National Office has a complete list of names, addresses, and email addresses.
• Make sure your local community information and referral centre lists you or your chapter in its resource file or directory.
• Make sure your local library has a well-stocked file of current information about HD. (If there are several branches in your city, ask if the main library will distribute material to other branches.)
• Does your community have an annual information fair or health fair? Be represented.
• Does your local pharmacy have a display area for pamphlets? Talk to the pharmacist.
• Tell National Office about any helpful articles, booklets, videos or other materials on HD that you come across.
• If you have an idea for a story in Horizon - whether it's some aspect of Huntington disease you'd like us to cover, your local HSC activities or something you've seen in another publication - please tell us!
The HSC Website
It's an up-to-date source of information on HD, the Society, research, services, education, development, events across Canada and volunteer development.
If there's more information you think should be there, send your comments to the webmaster. And if you're organizing an HSC event, send the details to email@example.com so that we can post them in the Events section.
The most economical and convenient way to reach all the HSC members in your area at once is by having a chapter newsletter included with Horizon. Make a list of all the things happening in your area that your members should know about and write your own newsletter.
Things to keep in mind:
• Don't make your chapter newsletters longer than one double-sided sheet - otherwise we have to pay extra postage.
• Try to include a balance of items about service (support groups, information meetings, etc.) and fundraising/awareness.
• Send your newsletter complete and finalized.
• Look at other chapter newsletters to get ideas - National Office can send you some samples.
• Make sure your newsletter reaches us before the chapter newsletter deadline. Also, check our mailing date. It can take up to two weeks to reach your members after we mail it from National Office, so don't include information about events that will be over by the time your members read about it!
• Call National Office if you need help with newsletter details or design - we'll be glad to help.